Thursday, November 27, 2008

Influence + Steadiness= my leadership style?



Last week, we did a personal profile regarding to our leadership style in management class. During the class, we are giving 50 sets of word. From each set of words, there is 4 words and we have to pick 1 out of the 4 words that we think is best describe us and 1 that is the least describe us. EAch word in each set of words are correspond to the letter either Z, Q, X, W, and Y. After we finish all 50's word, we are ask to calculate how many of Z, Q, X, and W for the most and how many Z, Q, X, and W for the least. For Y, we do not compute. Afterward, we compare the difference between Z, Q, X, and W from the most to least; I end up having the difference as -6 for Z, 11 for Q, 8 for X and -11 for W. As we have our number for Z, Q, X and W, we are ask to plot those points in the graph of D.I.S.C. D.I.S.C stand for Dominance, Influence, Conscientiousness and Steadiness. For -6 Z, I will plot the point into the D column -6 on the graph, and Q for the I and so forth. After I finish ploting, I end up having the highest point in the Influence colume and the second high in Steadiness colume. And professor calls it as I high S.


Then after the whole class finish plotting, we are ask to put our final answer on the board whether you are I high D, D high I, S high C or so forth. And professor Kurpis explains to us what is actually mean for being either of those. For those person who are high in Dominance, they are emphasis of shaping the enviroment by overcoming others to accomplish what they want. They like to accept challenges, take authoriy and managing trouble. They like to have wide scope of operations and they like to have many freedom from work. For those people who are high in Influence, they like to change the enviroment by influence of persuade others. They like to participate in group, being friendly to others and create a motivational enviroment for people to work. And for people who are high in Conscientiousness, they are more emphasis on quality and accuracy of the work. And for people who are high in Steadiness, they are more emphasis on working with others to carry out the task.

After hearing different characteristics of the D, I, C, and S, I felt that the test really reflecting my true personality. I am those people who don't like to overcome others to get my things accomplish, rather I like to persuade them. I think that it is more effective to ask people to do things in your way if you will be able to explain to them the rationals or logics behind it. I like to have supports from others in order to enforce my plan and this display my steadiness characterisitics.

Professor Kurpis said being D high I or I high D is the best leadership type. Unfortunately, I am not of those people. But I see that many people in our class actually display either D high I or I high D, I guess that our class is just full of potential good leaders. In the future, if I have a chance to become a leader, I must definitely look back to this chart for suggestions and action plan of how to lead under the I high S colume; therefore I can lead my followers more effectively and efficiently.

4 comments:

J said...

I think steadiness really suits you! I was looking at the diagram you uploaded along with this blog and I can't believe how well it matches with you. Steadiness usually falls into the category of listeners and people with patience. After all those group projects, I feel like you have a lot of patience. I have no patience and constantly jump right into the task. I tend to attack the assignment the way a dominant person would perhaps. Instead, I realize that time after time, you either try to see more information from the professor or reread the task at hand. I think this is a very important trait to have especially in our group because I think our group tends to jump right into the task before getting all the facts correct.

And it's no doubt that you have an incredible amount of influence on us. For the last project, if you didn't stand firm on the idea of chocolate, I don't know if I would've stood firm. Since we realized the importance of having food when stranded in the middle of nowhere 20 degrees below zero, we stuck together and was able to get the group to choose chocolate as the most important item to have, even though it wasn't. I don't know which dimension you scored the lowest in but if I was to make a guess, I would think dominance because you seem to take a lot of things with care and time. Let me know what you scored lowest on, I'm curious

Jason Lee said...

I think the test is pretty accurate. From the group project in AIS class, I can see that you are S and I type. Because you are willing to cooperate with all of the members in our group and get things done on time. Also, when you find out some information, you tried to explain and persuade us and let us understand it and make it effective for our project. It is good that you gave us some good information and glad that we finish the project in a short amount of time. You always complete the thing that our leader told you to do, so therefore, you are really S and I type person. And it was good to work with you in that group project, and glad that we got a pretty good grade.

Kwok's bodaciously AWESOME blog said...

I expected you to have either dominant or influential as part of your personality profile. Working with you, I have seen that you like to get the job done in the best way possible, and you often feel that you have the best solution the problem. I remember when we worked on the egg experiment; you pushed your idea fervently and we ended up using your contraption for our egg protection device. I like that you are always quick to give your input and waste no time in persuading our group to consider what you have to say. I recall the day when the class had to figure out a way to survive in freezing Canada. You made a very convincing argument to have a pistol as a means of signaling to others where we are.
I can see steadiness in you because through working with you in the past, I have seen that you can be a listener and are kind, patient, and overall just stable. You seem a little disheartened that you are not considered a great leader just because you are not D high I or I high D. Remember that although according to this test you may not fall under the good leader category, you probably fall under the good manager category. However, I feel that this test is bullshit anyway, so don’t worry about what it says.

mr.mike said...

I can see how you're a I high C person. Whenever we worked together, you always tried to get your ideas across the group and usually, if you really believed that something was the right way to do something you were pretty insistent in getting your idea out.For example, in the group assignment where we had to pick out 5 items we would bring along if we were stuck somewhere, I remember that you were very insistent on picking the chocolate bar. Even though I didn't agree, you tried to explain your reasoning to the group and it made a lot of sense which is why we put in on our list. You were really consistent with you ideas even though it created a bit of conflict in the group. But that's not a problem because conflict within a group either reinforces someone's idea or creates better ideas.